Family members were not present at the time. However, the manager collated a list of contact details for people that were happy to speak to us about their experience with the care home. Phone interviews were carried out one week after the in-person visit.
Some Interview Responses:
Staff (4 members were interviewed)
- Feels well supported by colleagues and senior management.
- Felt safe during the pandemic and believed the care home took effective infection control measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
- Activities were a gateway to create a positive atmosphere and to improve mental health. Unfortunately these activities had to stop when covid started to peak.
Family Members (7 members were interviewed over the phone)
- Staff reassured their concerns and believed that the care home had successfully kept staff and residents safe throughout the outbreak of the pandemic.
- The assistant manager provided exceptional professionalism by setting up weekly WhatsApp calls to get in touch with their loved ones.
- A minor issue in relation to signage as there are several doors at the entrance. A visitors sign would have been more clearer to know which door to enter.
Residents (8 were interviewed)
Some would like more television options available such as a Sky TV account for sports programmes.
Mixed reviews on menu options as some wanted a wider variety of options.
Majority are in regular contact with family members via telephone and video calls.
- Staff took immediate action after the last CQC inspection identified that food was not properly stored. The kitchen was also refurbished.
- 12 staff members carried out in-person First Aid training.
- The care home has plans to refurbish and had installed new bathroom cladding.
Some Suggested Recommendations:
- Weekly activities could be outlined better for all parties.
- Could potentially have a wider-range of refreshed resources available for residents.
- Review risk assessments and procedures: bedroom doors were kept opened to focus on the privacy and safety of residents, fire procedure information, and hazard related.